We are pleased to announce that Dog Owners of the Golden State (“DOGS”) has been recognized by the American Kennel Club as a State Federation for California.
What is DOGS?
DOGS is simply a group of people and clubs joining together to inform the public about responsible dog ownership, to help protect the rights of responsible dog owners and breeders, and to advocate for effective canine legislation.
For example, DOGS already has been actively providing background information and support to fanciers in the Riverside area to help make their approach to proposed updates to the animal ordinance more effective. DOGS is also preparing for a long legislative season in Sacramento.
As mentioned above, the AKC has recognized DOGS as a State Federation for California.
DOGS is part of USSPCO, a shelterless SPCA and 501(c)(3) organization incorporated by a group of California dog and cat fanciers in 2010, which makes your contributions tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Who’s involved with DOGS?
The founders of DOGS, Diane Amendola, Chuck Bridges, Geneva Coats, Jan Dykema, and Connie Koehler, are dog fanciers, exhibitors, and breeders just like you – several of them are even AKC judges. In addition to having extensive of experience in their respective breeds, this core team has decades of experience in advocacy.
We’d like you to be a part of DOGS!
What can I do?
1. Become active in your communities and the state in promoting responsible dog ownership and dog breeding. And convince your friends and dog clubs to become active, too.
2. Follow the activities of your city councils and county boards of supervisors. Get to know your council members and supervisors – local fanciers are “canaries in the coal mine” when it comes to local threats to responsible dog ownership and dog breeding. Be willing to speak at hearings . . . we are here to help you!
3. Send this Email to your friends and the officers of your dog club. Follow the Dog Owners of the Golden State Facebook page Help organize and participate in events sponsored by DOGS.
4. Send us an Email with your contact information to let us know how you are willing to help the DOGS organization succeed, such as volunteering to contact other fanciers, to plan or staff an event, or to help with our fundraising efforts.
5. Contribute to Dog Owners of the Golden State and get your friends and dog clubs to contribute. DOGS is an all-volunteer organization, but educational and advocacy activities still require cold, hard cash. All contributions are very welcome, but here are some dog-show-themed suggestions:
Individuals - $25
Specialty, Obedience, and Performance Clubs - $50
All Breed and Group Clubs - $150
Individuals - $50
Specialty, Obedience, and Performance Clubs - $100
All Breed and Group Clubs - $300
Best of Breed
Individuals - $100
Specialty, Obedience, and Performance Clubs - $200
All Breed and Group Clubs - $600
(You notice we haven’t figured out what to do with the Groups and BIS . . . yet.)
We have a PayPal account set up – email@example.com or you can send us a check payable to Dog Owners of the Golden State. We’ll also have a Web site set up and running in the next few days (ca-dogs.org).
How do we contact you?
General Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Dog Owners of the Golden State
P. O. Box 355
Tracy, CA 95378-0355
Phone: Chuck Bridges (209) 815-3613 – Mobile
Geneva Coats (909) 438-8242 – Mobile
Connie Koehler (310) 717-4804 – Mobile
We at DOGS look forward to working with you all of you!
Dog Owners of the Golden State
P. O. Box 355
Tracy, CA 95378-0355
(209) 815-3613 - Mobile
(866) 972-8373 - Toll Free
DOGS is an American Kennel Club State Federation for California.
DOGS is part of USSPCO, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization -- your contributions to DOGS are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. USSPCO's tax identification number is 27-2213981.